1: Connect the router to a power source. (Must be a router. Modems and modem/router combo devices will not work on our network.)
2: Connect an ethernet cable from the active port in the unit to the internet/WAN port on the router. On some routers, this port may be marked with a globe symbol.
- Some units may have more than one ethernet port but only one may be active. It is often blue and in the living room.
- To check for the active port, make sure the router has power and plug the ethernet cable from the internet/WAN port on the router to the ethernet port on the wall. Most routers have an internet or service icon LED light. If the port is active, this icon LED light should be on.
- If you do not see the internet LED light come on from the last step, try a different port in the unit and repeat the last step. If there are two ports (top and bottom) on the same wall, try both ports.
- If you are unable to find the active port, please contact our Technical Support team at 800-662-7600.
3: Connect to the router (wirelessly or wired) with your own device.
- Wireless connection: you can connect to the router wirelessly if your phone/computer has WiFi capability. To connect wirelessly, navigate to the WiFi settings on your phone/computer and look for the SSID/Wireless Name of the router and enter the WPA Key/Password.
- Wired connection: you can connect to the router with a direct connection if your device has an ethernet port. For a wired connection, an additional ethernet cable is needed.
4: Once connected, most routers will need to go through their own set up before you can access our network.
- This may require you to set up a login for the routers maintenance and give you the option to change your wireless name and password. Your router might have an app associated with it for this process.
5: Attempt to access a webpage (Ex: www.yahoo.com) and you will be redirected to our splash page.
- The splash page will ask for your activation code to authorize your internet.
- The activation code will be found in your e-mail with your documents from NexGen. If you signed up online, an e-mail was sent after your account was created.
6: If you are having issues installing your router, please do not hesitate to contact our Technical Support team for assistance.
For routers leased from NexGen, take these steps to configure your WiFi name and password
- Once you have connected to the WiFi using the SSID and WPA Key (name and password) found on the sticker on the router, download the “CommandIQ” app in the google play store or app store on your phone.
- When you open the app, it will ask you to scan the QR code that is located on the back of the router on the same sticker as the SSID and WPA Key.
- Once you scan the QR code, you will be prompted to set up a new WiFi SSID and WPA Key (name and password).